The following are answers to some of our most commonly asked questions. For more information about memberships, check out the Pricing page.
Where are you located?
- We’re at 575 King Street East in Hamilton. Click for a MAP
What are your hours?
- Monday – CLOSED
- Tuesday – 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Wednesday 12:00pm – 4:00pm
- Thursday 5:00pm – 9:00pm
- Friday: 12:00pm – 6:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Sunday: CLOSED
* We are closed on all national holidays
Are there additional costs?
- We want to make it as easy as possible for you to complete your projects. Your yearly membership gives you unlimited access to our libraries without any fees for the tools you borrow with a few exceptions. Some of our larger, more in demand tools do have a daily rate to borrow them. Examples include: jack hammer, floor sander, etc.
In addition, we do charge a nominal fee for consumable parts (sand belts, drill bits, hardware, etc.) but these items are priced much lower than a retail store. Occasionally you may be asked to leave a deposit for some of our more valuable tools but this will be refunded to you when you return the tool(s) in the same condition which you took them.
What about refunds?
- If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your membership (even if you haven’t used it yet), we will refund your purchase price minus the number of days you have held your membership plus a $15 processing fee.
How can I help?
- We have a lot to do, and we would really appreciate your contribution. Please visit our volunteer page to sign up.
Who can use the tools?
- Our tools may only be used by members who are 18 years of age or older, and who have paid any outstanding late fees. For liability reasons, members agree not to permit the use of tools checked out by him/her to any other person. We want everyone to be able to have access to the tools, so we welcome any skill level 🙂 If you’re not sure how to use a tool, our volunteers would be happy to help give you some direction.
What about family or business memberships?
- If members of your family or business are included on your membership and liability forms, they may make use of your membership. We permit a second person in the same household to have access to the membership to sign out tools.
What is the loan period and are there late fees?
- Tools may be borrowed for up to seven (7) days, but members are encouraged to return tools as soon as they are finished using them. Late fines of $2/day for power tools and $1/day for hand tools apply to any tool returned past its due date. Tools that are due on a day we are closed, will not result in late fees for those days.
Can I put a tool on hold?
- We do not take reservations for tools in advance. Due to the nature of our sharing community, we cannot guarantee the return of a tool at a specific time, or the condition of the tool when it is returned. As a result, we work on a first come first served basis.
However, in-stock tools may be put on hold, by telephone or in person, on the same day of checkout only!
NOTE: We levy a $5 fee on any held tool that isn’t picked up before shop closing time. Holds will not be administered via email.
Can I renew a tool I’ve borrowed?
- Renewals will only be available on tools one (1) time (extending the loan length for an additional five(5) days). Renewals do not apply to all tools. If the item is in high demand, we will not be able to renew it.
You can renew an item in person, or over the phone. Email requests for renewals will not be permitted. This policy is to ensure consistent borrowing practices and tool availability for all members. Late fees will apply to overdue items.
What about batteries for electric tools?
- We cannot guarantee that rechargeable batteries (on saws, drills, etc) will be fully charged when tools are loaned out. Likewise, members are not expected to return tools with fully charged batteries. This policy is in place to extend the life of our batteries by ensuring that they are not being over-charged.
What about gas powered tools?
- We ask that gas tanks be filled to the same level as when you received the tool. A $5 fee will be applied to any rental when the gas tank has not been refilled.
What about damaged or lost tools?
- Before borrowing and returning tools, the Tool Library volunteers/staff inspect tools for safety hazards and any damage. All tools are to be returned clean and in the same condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. Members will be charged for any damages beyond normal wear and tear, or the loss of an item.
When does my membership start?
- Whether you pay online or at our location, we start your membership from the date of your first tool rental or shop visit.
Is there a list of the tools you have?
- We are working on providing our members with access to a searchable online inventory. In the meantime, we have a list of items on our website. The list can be found on our home page or by clicking here.
Do you provide training?
- Yes, we do! We provide regular workshops on tool use and building skills. We have a schedule here that describes our events. If you have an idea or request for a workshop, please contact us so that we can make it happen.
What if I have more questions?
- Easy! Contact us using our easy form, or call us at 289-489-6498.
ur own text